The most important part of developing an effective and impressive resume is to realize and understand the purpose of creating this document. You need to understand that it is not an autobiography, instead it is a summary of your professional and academic qualification and achievements. An undergraduate aspirant must focus on their academic credentials and extra-curricular activities; an MS applicant must emphasize on their research interests and breakthroughs; and an MBA aspirant must endeavour to showcase their professional and leadership abilities.
Start by dividing your resume into separate relevant headings like Academic Qualification, Professional Qualification, Projects, Internships, Seminars, Publications, Workshops, Presentations, Achievements, Technical Skills, Extra-Curricular Activities, Honorary Service, Sports Participation, etc. You may even considering segregating your Work Experience into Professional and Entrepreneurial Venture, if applicable.
Also, focus on prioritization of content based on your academic or professional profile would further accentuate your resume and make it noteworthy. For example, any quantifiable achievement must be mentioned before a general contribution, any significant contribution to your team/organization must be listed in the first half of the resume.
Here are some key pointers that can help you format your resume in a better manner.
- Use bullets to provide a clean and organized look to your resume. Also avoid use of multiple line statements under one bullet point as this leads to over-crowding of the document.
- Mentioning your complete contact information in your resume is an important aspect of developing the document. Ensure to include your full name, complete address including the street number, city, state, postal code, hand phone number and email address.
- Format your resume extremely carefully as that is what decides how readable your resume is going to be. The length of the CV must not exceed two pages under any circumstances. Placement of information should be such that all the necessary and relevant information is readily visible to the Committee member going through the CV. Also ensure that you don’t include information in the form of paragraphs doing which would cause instant disinterest in the mind of the reader.
- Formatting the resume also holds immense importance in making it presentable. Do not clutter information in the CV and keep them separated using bullets. Use standard fonts such as Times New Roman and font size as 12. Apply bold and italics whenever necessary in order to make the headings or any other stand out amongst the rest.
- Mention dates/duration as much as possible and that too, in reverse chronological order. Editing and proof reading holds immense importance in your resume. The admission committee, at any cost, should not come across any misspelt word or mistake in grammar. Usually a resume is limited to two pages unless specified.
- Last yet the most, know your resume. There should not be anything mentioned in your resume you have less or no idea about.