When preparing an Academic Resume, there are simple rules and guidelines which every student must keep in mind. Essentially, they are not much different from a resume you normally prepare. The big difference is the absence of some sections like summary, objective statement, etc. Apart from that, the Academic Resume is a standard document that aims at capturing your candidature by highlighting your achievements. Learning how to write an impressive resume requires understanding both the content which you should include as well as understanding which format to follow.
While the format lists the sections you must include, here are a few basics of a good Academic Resume.
- Keep a steady Font throughout the resume
- As a general rule, the Resume should not exceed two pages
- Keep the alignment of text as ‘justified’
- Font Size can vary for titles but otherwise should be constant throughout
Here’s a standard format that you can use for preparing your Academic Resume.
E-Mail: your email address | Mobile: +91-XXXXXXXXXX
WORK EXPERIENCE (If applicable)
Name of the Organization
Designation from MM’YYYY – MM’YYYY
Project Name: Mention the name of client/ project you have worked on if applicable
Technologies Employed: If you have worked on any niche technology, mention it here
Roles and Responsibilities:
- Use this space to list down your role and responsibility
- Keep the list brief, to the point and use action words to begin your sentences, for example developed, created, handled, etc.
- This is a rather important section. Use bullets to highlight any special award you have received in the organization, any special appreciation or any innovative idea you might have implemented. Remember to highlight the result in the latter case.
- Also, focus not on your roles and responsibilities but the Achievements section in your resume
EDUCATIONAL/ ACADEMIC QUALIFICATION
- Postgraduate Degree (Specialization) from Name of the University/ Institute, Place with a (CGPA/ percentage) (if applicable)
- Undergraduate Degree (Specialization) from Name of the University/ Institute, Place with a (CGPA/ percentage) (if applicable)
- Class 12 from Name of the School, affiliated to Name of the Board in year with an aggregate percentage/CGPA
- Class 10 from Name of the School, affiliated to Name of the Board in year with an aggregate percentage/CGPA (only if you are applying for undergraduate courses. Students applying to Masters’ program need not mention their class 10 score.)
Notable Scholastic Achievements
- Mention any special awards/ scholarships you have received across your academic career, starting from class 10.
- Remember to use this space strictly for Academic Achievements. List out your co-scholastic achievements later
ACADEMIC PROJECTS UNDERTAKEN
|Name of the Project:||Specify the Name of the project|
|Guide:||Name of the professor (if applicable)|
|Technologies Used:||Whichever applicable|
Provide a brief description of the project, detailing what it was supposed to do and what was the result. Remember to keep the description brief, in say about 50 words or so.
- List out any awards/ special mentions your project received.
Repeat the format to list all the academic projects you have worked on. If the number of projects are more, accordingly limit the description length to ensure that the resume does not go beyond 2 pages.
OTHER QUALIFICATION/ CERTIFICATIONS (if applicable)
- Mention any certifications/ courses you might have undergone.
TECHNICAL SKILLS (whichever applicable)
|Ex. C language, PHP, CSS|
|Ex. My SQL|
|Ex. Microsoft Office 2003, 2007, 2010|
|Ex. CATIA, AutoCAD|
PAPER PRESENTATION/ SEMINARS PRESENTED/ WORKSHOPS ATTENDED (if applicable)
- Use this space to mention any papers that you presented or published, any specific seminars you presented and or any workshops you attended. You can create separate sections if the number is too high
- Highlight any extracurricular awards/ achievements.
- Please avoid mentioning participations until and unless the event was of national/ international level
- Debates/ quizzes/ sports/ theatre are all to be clubbed
- As much as possible, maintain the order in reverse chronology
- Avoid listing out certificates received in the primary or middle school, until they were of national/ international level
|Date of Birth:||Please provide|
|Address:||Provide you mailing address|